Pages

Powered by Blogger.

Monday, September 28, 2015

Everything but the Girl album discussion - Amplified Heart

A post a friend made on my Facebook page which sparked a discussion on Everything but the Girl's Amplified Heart album:

My friend:

I'm not a major techno head but the lyrics and vocals on this are very effective. No matter how many times I have listened to this, it always touches me emotionally.



Me:

I like that song. I just listened to the remix of it as well. Not bad. For some reason I keep confusing EBTG's Amplified Heart album with Walking Wounded. What do you think of Amplified Heart?

My friend:

I like Amplified Heart a lot. It is less techno and more organic than Walking Wounded. I think Ben had more of a hand in the sound of WW because he loves to twiddle knobs. The songwriting on WW is excellent and the title song has a haunting feel to it. I think the simpler production on AH suits Tracey's performance better because it sounds more human. I give a thumbs up to both albums but they are quite different from each other.

My friend's second comment:

Are you familiar with their 1992 album called Acoustic? It's mostly just voice and acoustic guitar or piano and it's mostly cover songs. Very nice.

Me:

Amplified Heart was the first EBTG album I ever heard, and I guess it would be my favorite because of the song "Missing." Walking Wounded is good in it's own special way. I'm listening to the Acoustic album-- my first time hearing it. I'm on their cover of Elvis Costello's "Alison." How did I miss this one?! Its pure perfection. Thanks for mentioning it! I'm glad somebody told me about it.

0 comments:

Post a Comment