Pages

Powered by Blogger.

Wednesday, October 26, 2016

Beck's 20th anniversary vinyl reissue of Odelay and record discussion

Received my 20th anniversary Beck album from Vinyl Me, Please music club. It's a vinyl reissue of Beck's 1996 album Odelay. It sounds nothing like an old record. Instead, the sound is very crisp with remastered quality. You also can't help but marvel at this record's beauty; bourbon-colored, black-marbled 180-gram vinyl.



More on Beck's 20th anniversary Odelay vinyl reissue:

Paste Magazine--

"Remember when alt-rock elder statesmen Beck had little more to his name than two turntables and a microphone? Well, you’re about to.

In celebration of its 20th anniversary, Beck’s 1996 sophomore album Odelay is getting an exclusive vinyl reissue via Vinyl Me, Please.

In selecting the record as their October album of the month, the VMP team will press and release Odelay on bourbon-colored, black-marbled 180-gram vinyl, a sentence which should have record collectors’ mouths watering.

In addition to the album itself, VMP’s reissue will include a 12” x 12” poster from the album’s original pressing, a 5” x 5” high-gloss sticker and a 12” x 12” original art print by Scott Hill, design director at The Original Champions of Design.

VMP head of music Cameron Schaefer said in a statement:

Odelay will forever exist as the album that took Beck from a slightly off-kilter, indie kid with no guarantees of success to a rock star and one of the most important artists of the past 20 years. Those albums don’t come around often so when they do we analyze, discuss and listen to them again and again. And ultimately, at Vinyl Me, Please, we celebrate them. We’re thrilled to be releasing this special-edition 20th Anniversary pressing of Beck’s Odelay and trust it will find a welcome place on the turntables of members around the world who value albums like this as much as we do."

source: https://www.pastemagazine.com/articles/2016/09/beck-odelay-20th-anniversary-edition.html

I had this album on cassette in 1996, and this vinyl beats it hands down! Will I stay a member of Vinyl Me, Please? While I love their music club, and I do think you get high-quality records for what you're paying, I cannot commit to another online membership. There's an area on the site which allows you to reactivate your account if you'd like to rejoin. I can rejoin at any time. Music is probably what I splurge most on but there's a limit. I go to concerts, and buy band t-shirts, posters, vinyl, CDs and DVDs but the cost of a vinyl music club is out of my price range. I will stick to the local and online record stores for now.

I like discogs.com, musicstack.com, and ebay.com for records. amazon.com sells used/new records, too. Amazon charges $3.99 shipping per record but the price of vinyl is about the same as discogs.com and musicstack.com as record prices are often higher on amazon. If I have an amazon.com gift card, then great! I will mostly likely buy vinyl there over discogs.com and musicstack.com Now, that is not to say that some record prices on discogs.com and musicstack.com aren't extortionate because some are. You must scan all 4 sites to get the best deal. I recently purchased 2 brand new records on ebay.com for $18.47 each with free shipping! Can't beat that. If I walked in a record store, or any store selling new records for that matter, I would have to pay at least $20.00-$25.00, maybe close to $30.00 depending on the artist/album.

Albums I purchased: Heaven Up Here by Echo & the Bunnymen, and Crocodiles by Echo & the Bunnymen. amazon.com wants $19.99 + $3.99 shipping for Heaven Up Here. discogs.com and musicstack.com also want $20.00+ for Heaven Up Here. This is when it gets pricier... On discogs.com, seller wants $30.00 plus shipping while another seller is requesting $120.00 plus shipping! Please keep in mind that all these records are used. The $120.00 vinyl may be in near mint condition and a first edition release, but it is way overpriced. I would expect to pay $120.00 for an out of print or rare LP, which Heaven Up Here is not. However, original pressings are very nice to own... I purchased Crocodiles from the same seller who sold me Heaven Up Here. The goal is to acquire the first four Echo & the Bunnymen albums. So far so good. Just need Porcupine and Ocean Rain. I will check out Mad World Records, my local record store. I'm willing to settle for any used copies they may have. I usually buy used vinyl but if the price is right I will buy new.

It was great seeing Echo & the Bunnymen 2 weeks ago. It was like reliving my teenage years all over again. I hope they play more post-eighties songs on their next tour though. Hearing their classic 80's hits and beyond was great, but much of their latter material is sorely missed by many. Until next time, I can enjoy the music and record shopping~!

0 comments:

Post a Comment