Pages

Powered by Blogger.

Saturday, February 13, 2016

She had me at "Hello."

My knowledge of Adele's music was scarce up until now. I had only heard "Rolling in the Deep" and maybe two other Adele songs 5 years ago. However, a few months ago, a friend said she'd like me to review Adele's music to which I replied, "I'd love to sit down and write a review for you." So here I am. Below is my review of Adele's albums starting with her debut.

With certain artists, even artists I esteem, for me to understand their work, I have to listen to their album(s) several times. It either does not sound good to me at the time or I simply do not get it. A perfect example of this is with Joe Jackson's latest album Fast Forward. I liked 90% of the album at first, but tracks like "Fast Forward" and "Kings of the City" did not appeal to me. I wanted to fully connect with the album since I was going to the concert. So for the next two months I vowed to listen to the album daily, or a good part of it anyway since it's long in duration. In just 3 weeks time, I knew what Fast Forward was all about and loved the album immensely. "Fast Forward" and "Kings of the City" are now songs I enjoy, and I cannot believe I did not like them! These songs are great live, btw.

With Adele, it has taken me several listens to fully appreciate her work. Its not that I don't like her music, because I do, it just did nothing for me starting out. The first Adele song that drew me in was "Rolling in the Deep." Perhaps if I had checked out her first two albums back then and continued listening to her I would be a bigger fan. Sometime between 2010 and 2012 I stopped listening to that song and had forgotten all about Adele. Then one day Adele resurfaced with her song "Hello." It was all over the internet and people would not stop talking about it. So I watched it on youtube and was pulled in once more by her crooning voice: "Hello from the other sideeeeeeeee." It builds up once more with "Hello from the outsideeeeeeeee. At least I can say that I've tried, to tell you I'm sorry for breaking your heart. But it don't matter it clearly doesn't tear you apart anymore." Those lyrics and soulful voice made me come alive. Upon hearing "Hello" I dug into her music catalog to see what I had been missing. Her voice reminds me of Etta James.
Her style? Classic and regal. From her walks on the red carpet, magazine covers, interviews, concerts, and TV appearances she maintains a timeless quality, which can't be said about many of today's young artists. There's a way to do it and a way NOT to do it. Take Jennifer Lopez and Miley Cyrus for example. Jennifer Lopez has a way of performing that is tasteful, though her wardrobe can be bare. Her live performances are more music-driven whereas Miley Cyrus is near naked and more focused on "twerking" rather than singing. Music is not a dance competition. Some may argue that "Its entertainment." True. But when does it stop being about the music? Its refreshing when someone like Adele comes along who actually sings on stage and cares about their appearance and conduct in the public eye.



Now on to the good stuff-- the music!! My thoughts on the following albums...

Adele, 19--

I felt like Adele's success with 19 was off to a slow start before turning into something great with 21 and 25. There are some good songs but this album is lacking... What, I don't rightly know. Still, it's a great debut for Adele. Songs I like: "Daydreamer," "Chasing Pavements," "Cold Shoulder," "First Love," "Right As Rain," "To Make You Feel My Love (Bob Dylan cover)," "My Same," "Tired." The 12 tracks on 19 were building blocks for Adele's career which progressed with 21 and 25.

Adele, 21--

With this album, Adele reinvents her sound that puts her powerful vocals and lyrics at the forefront. This change can be felt on "Rolling in the Deep" and "Set Fire to the Rain." Songs I like: "Rolling in the Deep," "Set Fire to the Rain," "He Won't Go," "I'll Be Waiting," "Love Song (Cure cover)," "Someone Like You." New album, stronger tracks. Offers much promise.

Adele, 25--

Just when we thought we had heard it all from Adele she comes at us with another breakout song, "Hello." 25 shows the maturity of Adele's voice on top of some deep, meaningful lyrics. A sensational piece of work with many mellifluous, and emotionally stirring tracks and big ballads. "Million Years Ago" and "All I Ask" sound even better live, IMO. Songs I like: "Hello," "Send My Love (To Your New Lover)," "I Miss You," "River Lea," "All I Ask." You can't go wrong with 25.

Some say Adele sounds much better on vinyl, hm... If indeed so, 21 and 25 probably sound the best. I hope you all liked my Adele review. Next up is a concert review. I may review David Bowie's Glass Spider tour (circa 1987) since I just watched it. Who says you have to BE at a concert to review it. As long as you see or hear something with your own eyes and ears you can! Being at a live show is much different than watching it on television; whoever filmed the event though may have captured something the concert goer may not have seen. Which is what makes reviewing the recorded version so great. I will give this some thought. :)

0 comments:

Post a Comment