Pages

Powered by Blogger.

Wednesday, May 11, 2016

The Rock and Roll Hall of Fame and Steve Miller explosion

When an artist is inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame isn't it supposed to be the greatest night of their life? Well, not for Steve Miller who was inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame last month with Cheap Trick, Chicago, Deep Purple, and N.W.A. We'll start with the following video:



Quoted from Steve Miller's press room video above: "When they told me I was inducted they said, ‘You have two tickets—one for your wife and one for yourself. Want another one? It’s $10,000. Sorry, that’s the way it goes.’ What about my band? What about their wives?"

The Rock and Roll Hall of Fame President and CEO, Joel Peresman, responded with the following: "Steve Miller's band wasn't being inducted this year. Steve Miller was inducted. We unquestionably took care of his band and his band was given a table they were able to sit at before and after the performance. I'm really surprised he goes down that path being that he's on the board of other cultural institutions, and he should have an understanding of how cultural institutions work. They do fundraisers and when you do fundraisers, you have rules in order to actually make money. You don't just give away tickets for free."

source: http://www.rollingstone.com/music/features/rock-hall-president-responds-to-steve-millers-blistering-comments-20160412

Since it was just Steve Miller getting inducted, there was only two tickets, one for himself and one for his wife. Okay, that makes sense. Hm, then they state that they took care of his band, giving them a table to sit at before and after the performance. Why was Steve Miller so clueless? Judging by the video where Steve Miller puts the Rock Hall on blast, he did not know his band would have a table. He would not have asked, "What about my band? What about their wives?" had someone told him.
The other issue I have is debatable. I understand and respect that the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame has their own way of doing things. But aren't the band an integral part of the Steve Miller Band? Afterall, it is the Steve Miller *Band*, right? Its not like he went as 'Steve Miller' on all his albums. However, I do understand that he is the only original Steve Miller Band member left standing. There are 29 former band members according to Steve Miller Band's Wikipedia page: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steve_Miller_Band -- That may be why they inducted him as Steve Miller. I think that if the Rock Hall honestly gave his current band a table, there should be no problem. I can't blame him though for being indignant over the whole process; phone calls, contract work, licensing, etc. The Rock and Roll Hall of Fame should listen to Steve Miller and the complaints from other artists/bands. They want an "artist-friendly" induction. Cut down on the amount of work. Give the artists/bands only what they have to fill out and sign. God knows they have put in their share of hard work over the years.

Sorry for the delay, I've been slacking in the blog department. I left off wanting to do a concert review in February. I guess it's good that I haven't blogged in a while because I went to a music festival on April 30th and can share that experience as well as some new music I've heard lately, which I will get to soon.

I'm over and out...

0 comments:

Post a Comment