Pages

Powered by Blogger.

Tuesday, November 21, 2023

Mars Williams, beloved Sax Player for Psychedelic Furs and Waitresses, passes away

My heart sank when I heard about Mars Williams' passing last night... Sadly, he lost his battle with cancer. "How could this be?! He had been doing so well!" I thought.

Last May, I saw The Furs play. I was so excited, thinking, "Ohhhh, Mars Williams is on this tour!" But a few days before my show, I learned he wasn't going to be there. Nevertheless, I psyched myself up for the show. Overall, it was a great show, but there was something missing. I guess it was just me wishing he had been there. Following my Psychedelic Furs performance, I heard that Mars Williams had met his GoFundMe goal and had been able to pay for his treatments. "Yay!" I thought. Psychedelic Furs' new tour dates were announced in September. They were touring with Squeeze this time, and guess who else? Mars Williams rejoined the group! I was doing cartwheels. In spite of the fact that I was unable to attend these shows due to their location, I thought, "Well, maybe next time!"

That's the thing, though. "Maybe next time," isn't always the case. My experience has always been that there may not be a next time. Still, I was hopeful, like I was in September when I heard Mars had rejoined the group. As I noticed Mars rejoined the band, I thought good things were on the horizon for the band. Where does the band go from here? On my setlist, I heard more rock songs since there was no saxophonist, only an extra guitarist. With the saxophonist such an integral part of The Furs' sound, will they bring in a new one to restore that sound? It won't be Mars Williams, that's for sure. Those are some tough shoes to fill. At the show I attended, as well as at other Psychedelic Furs shows without Mars Williams, that sound was sorely missed.

I think with a new saxophonist, that "sound" will be back, and it will help keep his spirit alive. In addition, Furs fans may enjoy hearing those sax sounds between more rock-driven tunes. I may suggest that to the band.

Thank you, Mars Williams, for being such a wonderful performer and for entertaining us for so many years. My condolences go out to his family and friends.



source: https://variety.com/2023/music/obituaries-people-news/mars-williams-dead-saxophone-player-psychedelic-furs-waitresses-jazz-chicago-1235803086/

I'm playing this Christmas song in honor of Mars Williams. That sax solo!! 🎷🎄🎁



0 comments:

Post a Comment