Pages

Powered by Blogger.

Tuesday, November 14, 2023

My observations on Vevo Pop

What is pop music today? That's the question I ask myself after two days of observing the Vevo Pop channel. Vevo Pop is a channel that plays today's pop music, and boy, have things changed. Since 2007, I haven't listened to the radio or watched music videos consistently, so I'm pretty out of touch. Only in department stores and other shops do I hear pop music. To be honest, there have been times when I wanted to leave the store. I would think, "What is this?!" Go into any shopping mall, or "trendy" store, and you will see what I mean, lol...

Even worse are the music videos. I observed scantily clad girls doing unspeakable things on Vevo Pop. To give you an idea, one of the scenes showed a girl exposing her legs wide open, while her privates were covered only by black tape. It wasn't a short clip either. Madonna was no saint in her younger days, but WOW! These young pop singers don't look a day over 18 or 19. I wonder if any of them will look back 20 years from now and say, "Why did I do that?" I remember watching music videos as a teenager between 1998-2001. I can't compare those old videos to what I see now.

Nelly Furtado comes to mind. Her debut pop song, "I'm Like a Bird," was so sweet and fun. It was released in the year 2000. Nelly didn't have to "sell herself" to sell her albums. With her, it was all about the music. She just sang. As a result, her voice also received more attention. It's not that artists shouldn't have any sex appeal, but I think it should be done tastefully so as not to cheapen themselves.



Remember all the hype about Miley Cyrus' live performance with Robin Thicke? It wasn't just that performance, she was like that at all her concerts. Rumors say she has toned things down a bit, and hopefully she has. But just think about all the mothers who attended those live Miley Cyrus shows with their daughters. Many may not have realized it would be so bad if they never watched a clip of her before, lol... As a parent, I would have been too embarrassed to attend.

Another thing I noticed was how much angst these young artists expressed. I am unsure whether they are trying too hard to be good artists, or if they are really feeling some strong emotion. In yesterday's pop music, I don't recall too many "angry" songs. Back then, pop music was more upbeat. Throughout each song, you could feel the joy pouring out of it. In addition, there were some more mellow, slower pop tunes, but what I envision when I think of "pop music" is something happy.

This is my idea of a pop song:



I'm sorry for the youth of today who will never know true pop music. There is YouTube, but how many younger music listeners will be YouTubing old pop songs from the 90's and 2000's? In answer to my previous question, pop music has evolved so much that it is oversexualized, angst-ridden, and full of cussing. Despite this, it is not devoid of emotion, as there is plenty of it. There is just more sadness and angst than in old pop songs. Moreover, it seems that there is a greater ratio of female pop stars to male pop stars today. Why is that? Why are there more female pop stars?

Olivia Rodrigo has a few good songs.  She is someone I would have probably listened to when I was listening to pop music.  Songs like, "Bad Idea, Right?" "Vampire," and "Driver's License" were alright.  "Bad Idea, Right?" has a fun, catchy chorus.  I haven't listened to all her tunes, I'm just skimming through her YouTube playlist.  I try to be openminded and accepting of artists I've never heard before since I'm writing about them. :)

There's a band on the Vevo Pop channel called The Last Dinner Party. They remind me of an indie pop band more than just some pop group. In my opinion, they have a more indie sound. Though I wish the chorus was less, um, trashy, I still dig them. You can see what I mean if you Google their song "Nothing Matters." The chorus just repeats itself, and there you go, lol... The singer has a great voice. She sounds a little like Siouxsie Sioux from Siouxsie and the Banshees. Big compliment from me!

Although pop music isn't what it used to be, to each their own. It may be a hit or miss for some. I'm actually more of a rock music fan, but some pop songs are fine. YouTube is a great place if you enjoy old pop songs like I do! On my smart t.v., I have watched old music recordings through the YouTube app. It's so cool to be able to watch that on my big screen whenever I want, especially those old concert videos that you can't find anywhere else.

0 comments:

Post a Comment