Pages

Powered by Blogger.

Wednesday, March 24, 2021

Drawing music and radio discussion

I've been steadily working on my website for my cartoon and book series. My site is near complete, I just have to finish my illustration for the front page today. Much of what I do involves drawing since I'm a cartoonist. I started drawing in 2004. There were a couple of albums that I listened to a LOT back then while drawing. I hadn't heard those albums in YEARS-- until last night! The music still sounded good to me, though I was listening to it through a 30-something's ears now. My musical tastes may have changed, but those songs brought me back to my 20-year-old self. It was like I was 20 all over again and spending long hours creating elaborate images.

This is my drawing music from 2004 to 2008. Since there are so many albums, I will not post a video for each one. I will list my Top 10 drawing albums first.

Top 10 drawing albums:



Earlimart's Everyone Down Here full album: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h8I4Fv8nJM4&list=PLafhkWO0YjJ4qvZsGsRDOsNZ5WG2EKUC9&index=1



Earlimart's Treble & Tremble playlist: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=OLAK5uy_kzQdi9EYV1tokmBYYKjsCKfliUB5rVbVM

Earlimart's Everyone Down Here and Treble & Tremble I listened to the most while drawing in 2004 and 2005. If you are familiar with Elliott Smith at all, you can feel his influence on Treble & Tremble. Earlimart's frontman, Aaron Espinoza, said the album was not a concept album or tribute album to Elliott Smith like some people believed. But he said, "I can't ever, ever, ever be ashamed of my association with him. I cherish it every day."



Elliott Smith's Figure 8 Playlist: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=OLAK5uy_nxBnU9afp3ep05jOle2-VILbRsAnc5TS4

This album inspired me to do great things. It is my favorite out of Elliott Smith's albums. Figure 8 is one of those albums you can listen to from beginning to end without skipping any tracks. Many memorable melodies and lyrics in his songs. "Stupidity Tries" and "Can't Make a Sound" start slow then coalesce into an epic conclusion. Nothing but sheer emotion and raw energy as the songs gain momentum. The album as a whole is amazing. If you do not own this album, I implore you to get it!



Graham Coxon's Kiss of Morning full album: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jol3qe07szc

With this album, you get a mix of rock, pop, folk, and country music. Not what you'd expect coming from a Blur band member, but a very nice surprise when you first hear this album. Some highlights on this album: "Bitter Tears," "Escape Song," "Locked Doors," "Baby, You're Out of My Mind," "It Ain't No Lie," "Just Be Mine," "Do What You're Told To," "Mountain of Regret," "Walking Down the Highway."



Graham Coxon's Happiness in Magazines playlist: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLLXjmAmQ6UNYpFmLj01hZSHl3KDWBBG8r

Happiness in Magazines was the first solo Graham Coxon album I ever heard. Not a bad track on it. Graham Coxon successfully fuses post-punk, blues, pop and ballad music on this album. I would list my favorite tracks but I like nearly the whole album, so there's no point!



Love Travels at Illegal Speeds playlist: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=OLAK5uy_nj7ezNVFWrRgUTcBBB1PHNSd1Du3OrPIY

Where do I begin? Graham Coxon's Love Travels at Illegal Speeds blew me away after its release in 2006. Some say it's not as good as Happiness in Magazines but I beg to differ. I love this album. Plenty of melodic power pop and rock songs to choose from. Graham plays everything on this album except for keyboards and horns. Impressive to say the least. My favorite song on this album is "Don't Believe Anything I Say." It's a much slower tune that is self-analytical and contains a great chromatic descent. I also like, "What's He Got?" "You & I," "Gimmie Some Love," "I Don't Wanna Go Out," "You Always Let Me Down," "Don't Let Your Man Know," "Flights to the Sea (Lovely Rain)."



Graham Coxon's The Golden D playlist: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=OLAK5uy_mPc1CVEPoYfijp8fo6RDtKTOCtt1M6QX4

On his The Golden D release, Graham Coxon is working out his inner demons and neuroses. It kicks off "Jamie Thomas" with his loud, abrasive guitar, then comes the high-velocity of "The Fear." This album wasn't mind-blowing for me, but considering that it was supposedly made in 2 weeks, it's not bad at all.



Graham Coxon's The Sky Is Too High playlist: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=OLAK5uy_koU801pld7_uA0OxC7LozsR0UxUTZ3Rao

"I wish the music would play by itself..." Nice opening lyrics on "I Wish" from Graham Coxon's The Sky Is Too High album. Distinct chords and rip-roaring guitar work on this album. It may not be my favorite Graham Coxon album, but I do enjoy this album.



Elbow's Cast of Thousands playlist: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=OLAK5uy_km5RCZyv9ayXWl6MJNG0UMXzDmq3j4NKc

The production on this album is top notch and the songs continually surprise you with their depth and emotion. Brilliant album, and one I remember listening to a lot back then.



I couldn't find a playlist or full-length recording of this album on YouTube, so you will have to look up each song on YouTube to hear them. The album is Gold Stars 1992–2002: The Juliana Hatfield Collection. This compilation album is one I rocked out to while I drew. Below is the link for the tracklist.

Tracklist for Gold Stars 1992–2002: The Juliana Hatfield Collection:_The_Juliana_Hatfield_Collectionhttps://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gold_Stars_1992%E2%80%932002:_The_Juliana_Hatfield_Collection

Here's the rest of my drawing music in no particular order:

First band on the Moon - The Cardigans/Life - The Cardigans/Grand Turmiso - The Cardigans/Emmerdale - The Cardigans/Bakesale - Sebadoh/Harmacy - Sebadoh/Sebadoh III - Sebadoh/Bubble & Scrape - Sebadoh/The Sebadoh - Sebadoh/Smash Your Head on the Punk Rock - Sebadoh/Concrete Dunes - Granddaddy/Emoh - Lou Barlow/Leaders of the Free World - Elbow/A Certain Trigger - Maximo Park/Greatest Hits - Pulp/This Is Hardcore - Pulp/Brighten the Corners - Pavement/Wowee Zowee - Pavement/In It for the Money - Supergrass/Yoshimi Battles the Pink Robots - The Flaming Lips/The Soft Bulletin - The Flaming Lips/President of What? - Death Cab for Cutie/Plans - Death Cab for Cutie/One Part Lullaby - The Folk Implosion/The Magic Numbers - The Magic Numbers/X - INXS/Shabooh Shoobah - INXS/Picture Book - Simply Red/Blue - Simply Red/Night and Day - Joe Jackson/Any XTC album/Any Blur album

I was also listening to the radio at the time. The radio had some good music back then. I don't listen to it anymore, and I haven't since 2007. I must admit, once in a very blue moon I will turn on the radio to see what's playing. It's not long until I just shut the whole thing off. I prefer listening to one full album by a band I enjoy to a bunch of radio songs that I don't know if I will like. I know that limits me to old music, but I can find new music via Facebook and YouTube. I look to Facebook music groups for band suggestions and reviews, then I go to YouTube to hear new music.

I'm content with my music collection. I only wish I had discovered some of my most loved artists sooner than I did. I blame the radio for that as I listened to it so much when I was younger. There is a lack of exposure to certain bands and artists when you only listen to the radio. I think you need other outlets to find out about unique bands and artists. I must state that MTV and M2 turned me on to some bands. Bands that weren't big on the radio, but that wasn't enough, it seems. *sigh*

0 comments:

Post a Comment